Re: Pantographs (was Re: MBTA BREDA Light Rail Cars)

jdennis@acslink.net.au (John Dennis) wrote:

> Now you have grabbed my attention.  Can anybody list the places in
> Australia where tram lines terminated in a loop?

Sydney had by far the most, but even so only a few suburban Sydney
termini had loops and of those only about half them for most of their
working life. A number of these were originally steam tram

Sydney Suburban

	Manly System
		Manly Wharf (later layout)
		The Spit - Manly Side (early layout)

	North Sydney System
		The Spit - North Sydney Side (early layout)
		Mosman Wharf (early layout)
		McMahons Point (pre-Harbour bridge)

	Main System
		Bondi Beach (early layout)
		Coogee
		Maroubra
		La Perouse
		Erskinville
		Dulwich Hill (later layout)

	Burwood System
		Cabrita

Given that, apart from Wynyard underground, there were really no stub
end termini in the Sydney CBD, there are numerous possible "loops"
that could be counted in the city area.  Ignoring the various track
combinations that could be looking at forming "around several blocks"
loops and just looking at the "visible all at once"  and "round a
single block" loops yields these:

	Railway Square
	Chalmers St (early layout)
	Queen Victoria Building (early layout)
	Erskine St (to 1951) - Queens Sq (from 1951)
	Millers Point
	Fort Macquarie Depot
	East Circular Quay (early layout)

There were also very large loops for trams on special services to the
Cricket Ground and Showground in the Moore Park area, as well as at
Randwick and Ascot Racecourses.

The Newcastle System also had a loop at Parnell Place, in Newcastle
city.

Cheers,

Bill