Re: Was Eddie Oliver once a Quiz Kid?

Eddie Oliver wrote:

> Yes, I was around in the days when the railways genuinely tried to provide a
> service throughout the state; when it was more important to have people running
> trains than sitting in offices stuffing up the management;  when the people in
> management mainly knew what a railway actually looked like; when the
> infrastructure was maintained effectively without infinite closedowns; and so
> on.
>
> In other words, I was around when the railway was service-driven rather than
> management-driven.
>
> The fact that there were steam engines around is a minor difference compared with
> the more fundamental ones.
>
> Eddie Oliver

Yes Eddie it is a pity that todays enthusiast is unable to be transported back to the
days when the railways were a real transport system. Even when I joined in the middle
1960's it was and it was mighty fine place to be part of. 1972 in Seymour was very
busy place most of the night and to look at todays railway is very sad indeed. I
cannot echo your sentiments enought.

David Langley.

p.s. Having read the rest of this thread these ng postings just illustrate how an
exchange of messages can get right of the subject of the original message. Probably
what makes these entertaining. To all of you keep up the entertainment.