Re: Very smoky XPT

Jack wrote in message <774kj2$kt$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>...

>The word is they will be replaced by ..... wait for it ..... bigger
>Paxmans.... 3000hp jobbies... but they will be derated to about 2500hp...
>there was talk of going AC traction but they now say they will keep the
>current traction motors so 2500 hp is more than enuff for them...

In the UK 13 out of the 197 Class 43 HST power cars have been fitted with
the new Paxman VP185. I'm not sure of the HP of these engines, maybe these
are the ones that are going to be fitted to the XPT's. They seem to sound
similar to the Paxman Valenta 12RP200L's albeit a bit quieter. All 197 were
planned to be re-engined but the Train Leasing Companies have shelved this
since they got hold of the loco's and some of the Train Operating Companies
have gone on to order their own trains.