Re: V/Line "C" class

<<<<<<Mark,
The C class where the coldest, the noisiest, the roughest and the most
uncomfortable engine that I ever had the pleasure to drive. Getting out of bed
at
4 in the morning with minus 5 temps in Ararat and then getting onto a C
class...Brrrrrr

With the heaters turned on, the hotplate turned on, you still frozzzzzzzz

I also had plenty of breakdowns with C's. I remember when the first one arrived
at
South Dynon as a young fireman (loco assist) that they looked bloody big and
were
very noisy..... low frequency noise was also bad. A "C" would always rattle the
windows of the tucker room. I think from memory they started to break down
fairly
early in their life and they all had crack in their frames near the bogies
early
in their life....

Give me an X or S any day as the lead engine, or later on a G on the
CTC.>>>>>>>

You've got to be kidding me! you obviously never ran a B or S on the Cressy
line with the wind whistling in through the doors and the staff exchanger flap,
I well remember crouched over the pathetic heaters in a B class trying to get
warm. All told I did 46,678 miles on C class and never once had any sort of
failure.

Cracks in the underframe? that a new one on me!

You say C's were noisy, what a laugh, they were MUCH more quiet than any B or S
 c'mon!

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/