Re: V/Line "C" class

Mark,
The C class where the coldest, the noisiest, the roughest and the most
uncomfortable engine that I ever had the pleasure to drive. Getting out of bed at
4 in the morning with minus 5 temps in Ararat and then getting onto a C
class...Brrrrrr

With the heaters turned on, the hotplate turned on, you still frozzzzzzzz

I also had plenty of breakdowns with C's. I remember when the first one arrived at
South Dynon as a young fireman (loco assist) that they looked bloody big and were
very noisy..... low frequency noise was also bad. A "C" would always rattle the
windows of the tucker room. I think from memory they started to break down fairly
early in their life and they all had crack in their frames near the bogies early
in their life....

Give me an X or S any day as the lead engine, or later on a G on the CTC.

Alas it has been a long time now since I last drove a loco. Maybe oneday again on
the New England Railway.........

MarkBau1 wrote:

> I couldn't agree more Rod regrads their comfort and reliability.
>
> All the C class need is to have their elecetrical cabinet replaced with a dash
> 2 cabinet and they would have many years of service ahead of them.
>
> Mark.
>
> Visit my train pic website at:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/

Gavin Potter.
B.App.Science, (Resources and Environmental Science).
Technical Officer.
National Chickpea Breeding Program.
NSW Agriculture. Tamworth.
e.mail: (home) gavpot@ozemail.com.au