Re: Dr Beeching

In article <915722985.28169.0.nnrp-02.c2de42f8@news.demon.co.uk>, E.D.
Wivens <news@largeprefer.co.uk> writes
>Another popular one was to retime the connecting services so that
>passengers using the line under threat had 55 minute waits in both
>directions.

I forgot that one. In his autobiography Adrian Vaughan mentions the
morning London commuter train for stations between Swindon and Reading -
that is, the train picking up people at these stations and taking them
to London. About the time that Western Region wanted to close these
stations, this service stopped originating at Swindon and became the
boat train from Fishguard !

>I remember a 70's map of showing proposed line closures which
>truncated the Oban and Mallaig routes at Crainlarich. This was based
>purely on an accounting model that showed the lines as "profitable" up
>to the junction and "unprofitable" beyond it.

Now we know where 0345 48 49 50 got their geographical knowledge.

--
Clive D.W. Feather    | Director of            | Work: <clive@demon.net>
Tel: +44 181 371 1138 |   Software Development | Home: <clive@davros.org>