Re: Very smoky XPT

In article <mauried.203.3693DEC6@commslab.gov.au>,
Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote:

>> I dont know the exact values, but the HEP alternator is connected to
>>the main engine shaft. The voltage and frequency to the train power line
>>vary with engine speed. From 100v 25Hz to 300v 60+Hz or there abouts.
>
>Yes I suspected something like this , its a pity as it rules out using
>conventional 415 V 3 phase power for the cars if they have to be hauled by
>conventional locos with HEP , or using conventional power cars like PHGs/PHNs
>etc.

 415v 50Hz is with in the range put out by the XPT HEP alternator set.
Ive seen an adapter cable at Meeks Road that allows a standard railway
powervan to power an XPT car. They also plug them into the normal 3 phase
mains shore supply to power the cars when in the depot.

 The main difference is that the XPT has a real neutral in the train line,
the traditional railway HEP supply doesnt.