Re: Gundagai - Last Use Of Line?

Telstra wrote in message ...
Can anybody tell me 1/ When it was that Gundagai had its last rail
>service and 2/ What main and/or branch line was it on? Thanks in advance.
>
>David

I recall spending some time at Tumut in 1984 and if I can recall right the
line had been closed for at least for six months.  I believe the Tumut
branch experienced some bad bushfire damage in early 1983.  The damage may
have been further compounded by subsequently flood damage - such is life in
Australia.  But these are the excuses the rail authorities can use to close
uneconomic branch lines.  I remember speaking to a local during my visit in
1984 and he was saying the locals were lobying for the reinstatement of the
rail line as a number of the big timber companies in town were still
interested in using it.  I believe the big killer for economic operation of
the line was the cost of maintaining the huge timber viaduct and bridge over
the Murrumbidgee Bridge at Gundagai.