Re: It's still academic

jdennis@acslink.net.au wrote in message <7asj1l$qon$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <19990222033459.00954.00001466@ng-fb1.aol.com>,
>  markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:
>> <<<<<<In fact, the sugar cane haulage almost exceeed that of National
Rail,
>> Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania combined!  That total was 26.7m
>>
>> Cheers...JD>>>>>>>
>>
>> What the hell do they do with ALL that sugar???
>
>I don't know how much raw sugar comes out of the mills.  That loading is
>cane, which is (effectively) just squeezed while the syrup drips out.  A
>large amount of the cane transported to the mills is burnt as bagasse (sp),
>by product of the milling process.

Some O/S cane tramways use (used?) the bagasse to fire steam locos,
including the last working Shays in the Philipines, I think. Trouble is, the
calorific value of the bagasse is so low they need TWO firepersons (did I
just make that word up??) continually throwing the stuff into the firebox,
even on level track!
Rgds
Ron BEST