Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

<<<<<<In NSW, Vic and SA, automatic (or permissive if you live in SA)
signals are identified by staggered signal heads.>>>>>>

In Vic there are also two position automatics, (Flemington Racecourse line and
others) where the automatic is identified by a black triangular plate with the
letter A in white inside a white triangle.

Aouto's started to get "reverse staggered" as a result of the signal sighting
commitee, we asserted that it was more important to see the A light rather than
have it face into a stauntion and not be able to see it until you were almost
on top of it. Later reverse staggers occured because of an tragic accident that
crippled a good freind of mine when he banged his head on a marker light near
Middle Footscray, (he was looking back at his train from the cab of a diesel)

<<<<<<I don't know what rules apply in SA, however, I have never seen an SA
signal
staggered to the left. I was once told that the new AAR code of practice is
not to stagger signal heads. Is this correct?>>>>>>>>>

Most "permisives" around here are not staggered because they simply have one A
light and no marker light. I don't know of any AAR decree, if there is such a
decree it would probably come from the FRA.
Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/