Re: And the winner is.....

sthyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au (Stuart Thyer) wrote, and I selectively
quote:

>Who are the members of the consortium??

Stuart,

I thought you said you spent some time with Graeme Claytor on the
Kulwin tour <g!>.  You've forgotten him already????

Looks like my "suace" who said on 12.2.99 that "the hot money is
definitely on Freight Victoria being the successful bidder (Rail
America./ Macquarie Bank/ Goninan/ Fluor Daniel)" was spot on.

Freight Victoria's Marinus van Onslen was previously the General
Manager of VLF.  I seem to recall Rod Young saying that V/Line people
had a lot of time for him.

Graeme Claytor, heading up RailAmerica's international division, comes
from a railroading family, apparently has a steam ticket in the US,
and may well be an enthusiast.    Oh dear, first we have WCR run by
gunzels and now an enthusiast heads up FV.

Jeff said (3LO 12 noon news) that FV is committed to introducing a new
era in transport for country and regional Victoria and will spend $36
million on infrastructure in the next two years.  FV is expected to
take over in April this year.

Now that the  uncertainty is over, I wish FV well and look forward to
their actions matching their rhetoric - if they do, rail in Vic should
get mighty interesting.

>From Rail2000's website (http://www.users.on.net/rail2000)

>Freight Victoria: Headed by former V/Line Freight Managing Director
>Marinus van Onselen and with major consortium partners Rail America
>and Macquarie Bank. The latter two were involved in the bidding for
>the former Australian National business and are both shareholders in
>Great Southern Railway which was the successful bidder for the AN
>passenger business. Rail America operate over a dozen US shortlines as
>well as a profitable railroad in Northern Chile. Fluor Daniel are
>reported to be the consortium's infrastructure partner and A Goninan
>the rolling stock partner.

Regards

Yuri
--