Re: Poor Performance of UK Train Operators

"David Bennetts" <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote:

>The British taxpayer still subsidises train operations by funding their
>operating losses.  A few new problems have arisen since BR days, they're
>trying to run more trains, which has resulted in greater congestion and less
>reliability.  There seems to be reduced maintenance, and not much new
>equipment coming on line.  There has been a lot of poaching of drivers
>between TOC's, those offering lowest salary rates have ended up
>short-staffed.

Yes I was aware that the government is still "funding"
railways over there, but considerably less than in BR
days.  The big question is, who is going to fund the
replacement infrastructure, loco's and rolling stock in
future years.?

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT