Re: Poor Performance of UK Train Operators

< Tell > wrote in message <36d0f318.1558010@news.ozemail.com.au>...
>"David Bennetts" <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote:
>>
>>Once again, declining levels of performance of the Train Operating
Companies
>>are being reported in the UK media.  Interestingly, the only company to
>>receive top marks was the Island Line, which operates a small passenger
>>service on the Isle of Wight, using 60 year old reburbished ex-London tube
>>trains.

And only recently retired the true museum pieces, 1923 Standard Tube stock!
Managed to travel in them in the 80s. What an historical treat.

>Hmmm .......Do you think the fact that they do not have
>the massive amounts of British tax payers funds like BR
>used to have, might have something to do with it.?
>

>----Terry Burton
>Alice Springs NT

Hardly <TELL>, there's still more going into the railways today from the
Exchequer than ever in Slasher Thatcher's day (well don't hold me hard to
the stats, I'm talking broad doctrine here). The route is via CSOs and via
the Franchising Office.

The main thing now is that it's not the unions who cause the problems
(divide and conquer was the doctrinal motivation for the split and sell
theology), it's loss and lack of expertise in management. The "old" BR was
certainly gearing up to be a seriously lean and mean business - like British
Telecom before it.

Perhaps it's too late for Australia to learn the lessons. Just like before
in transport, UK puts is a 2+2 motorway (the M1) - it clogs up and takes 25
years to widen. Cain puts in a freeway with traffic lights, costs twice as
much to come back later and put in the bridges (and still the level
crossings remain).

Perth puts in big roads: 2+2 with traffic lights (yawn).

"..... la la ... when will they ever learn, ... when will they e-e-e-e-e-ver
learn?????"

DW