Re: Brisbane Light Rail,Briztram - questions

Barry Campbell wrote:

> Some questions
>
> How does BLR differ in route from Briztram?
>
> What was the objection by local residents to the bridge from West End to
> Uni of Q?
>
> Were there plans to build this bridge during the old tram days and if so
> was anything done about it?

Yes to the last. Boundary Street was widdened and the Dornock Terrace Bridge
built in the late 1940's and early 50s.

It has always been on the town plan as a transit route light rail from 1985.

As for the ill-informed, selfish, lacking uderstanding, can't care about
anything except making a speculative profit on their versions of urban renewal -
most started in Red Hill / Petrie Terrace, moved to Paddo, and now there taking
over west End. Who gives a damn, Unfortunately their misguided and possibly just
as stupid and ignorant local member who is a minister.

I suggest you read the Brisbane Transport Research Groups 42 page submission. It
answers most questions.

The short answer is this.

1. Labor didn't want trams, so they scrapped Briztram.
2. Discovered they couldn't scrap it because of committedd federal funding.
3. forced to do back flip.
4. deliberately suggest a system that no one will want, so they can they scrap
it. Its a clayton's proposal.
begin:          vcard
fn:             Garry R. Ford
n:              Ford;Garry R.
org:            Australian Public Access Network Association Inc. ARBN 081 355 722
adr:            "Burwill";;10 Clifford Street;STAFFORD;Queensland;4053;Australia
email;internet: garry@merddyn.apana.org.au
title:          National Secretary
tel;work:       +61 7 3857 1203 mobile (04) 161
tel;fax:        +61 7 3857 1203
tel;home:       +61 7 3857 1203
note:           Chairman, Coalition Communications and Information Technology Policy Committee
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard