Re: One day to look around in ....

I tried to follow David's suggestion for a reply to another question.
Because of GSR's horrible Overland timetable (arrival far to late to be
useful, and far too unreliable), and Hillside's horrible Belgrave Saturday
timetable (40 minute headways), it is virtually impossible to connect from
the Overland to Gembrook (would you trust the 8.45 arrival to make the 8.52
Spencer St - Belgrave?).

I was able to overcome this by:
First available route 96 tram to Luna Park (light rail, views of Albert
Park,interesting architecture en route).
Next available route 16 tram to Flinders St (St Kilda Rd, Melbourne's
magnificent boulevard).
Anticlockwise City Circle tram (allowing an early transfer to a train if
necessary).
10.49 down Belgrave (not a bad route, despite the concentration-camp
enclosures at Camberwell and at the terminus).
12.15 bus to Gembrook.
13.10 up Puffing Billy service.
train to Spencer St,
Skybus to Melbourne Airport.