Journey to Griffith last weekend

G'day,

myself and some V/Line Connies spent last weekend raising hell (well not
really) out on the Griffith pass.

Travel was all by rail - took Saturday's daylight XPT to Junee, lunch at
the Commercial Hotel, then onto the pass (the lovely 42220 on 2 cars and
powervan) which ranaround (all passengers were detrained) and departed
on time or therabouts.  Each stop on "the branch" became an improvised
"photo stop" :)  Stuff of note sighted was X45-up sg goods crossed at
McIntyre loop, G543 on the down Apex at Kilmore East, X42 hauling
sleepers in the up direction at Badaginnie at 1021, a double stop at
Wangaratta platform, H1 and A85 at Wodonga, N460-FN1 forming the up BG
pass at Albury (up being to Melbourne of course!).  Shortly after
arrival at Griffith, an 82+48 departed on a goods, leaving another 48 in
the yard.  By morning, 48112+8229+48105 were in Griffith, we proceded
without incident to Junee where we detrained, visiting Junee Loco, where
Austrac's 2 NB and 48 classes were (among other things).  6 x 81, 1 x 82
and 2 x 48 were shutdown at Junee.  We again hit the Commercial for
lunch (it's very good!), then visited Junee Train Control to see what
was where (not much really), our XPT home was driven by a VLP driver, we
crossed something at Longwood and were into Melbourne about 15 late.

A few things of note:
I've now ridden 4 XPT's, all have had wheel flats.....does EVERY XPT
have flats?
We were travelling in car A (sleeper), rode OK until you realised how
much better car B was (must've been on the older type bogies).  On the
Griffith, I thought the seats in the old cars were very good (not as
good as an ACZ, but better than an ACN, and much better than XPT),
although would be better if the middle arm-rest folded up (so you can
stretch out when there's nobody booked in the seat next to you).
Thought the design of the toilets was far better than that of the
Victorain Z cars (two small toilets at same end of car, one ladies one
gents), and the toilet (with an S bend and hence water in the bowl) was
better than the "chute" design used in Victoria (prevents much of the
noise and dust entry etc).  The partly openable windows is a good idea
for when aircon fails (or for when railfans want to take in the GM chant
from the 422).

Anyway it was damn good fun, I recommend the Commercial Hotel at Junee
and similarly the Victoria Hotel at Griffith on Sat nights (top DJ and a
good crowd).  The Countrylink staff were very good throughout.

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber