Re: Concord West Derailment

>> I was asking why you need two lights to do what one can do; signal
>> clear, caution or stop?
>>

>its just the fact that they (Victorians) have used a two light system for speed
>signalling. The red single marker is purely there to keep the consistency.

The consistency that has G/R, Y/R, R/R at some locations and G/R, Y/G,
R/Y, R/R at some locations.

BTW at Richmond on the Up ex Caulfield I can go G/R, Y/G, R/Y, R/R in
LESS THAN A TRAIN LENGTH!!!!!! The first signal says Clear NORMAL
SPEED so, legally I can do 50 km/h; the second says reduce to 40 km/h
so I can continue at 50 and be down to 40 at the third signal, by
which time it is too late - I am either heading off to Parliament or
about to cut a Sandy spark in half :-).

>It is used to indicate the difference between Normal and Medium.

Why not a white marker light? It does the same job but does not
reflect red on the rails as I come around a blind curve.

>> Yes, But you still have no idea what the signal is displaying. In NSW
>> the lower red light is only illuminated if the top light is red or
>> out. If the top light is yellow or green there is no lower red light -
>> less risk of confusion.
>
>What would happen if the 2nd red light failed?

Same as now, the signal would be very, very dark ;-).

>> >the red light on the bottom tells you that there is a signal there and it is
>> >defective.
>> >
>> That is my point. If the signal is one that only shows G/R, Y/R or
>> R/R, the bottom light being out should not stop trains. Green over
>> black on this signal is obviously clear but the rules state that I
>> must stop, contact control and then proceed with extreme caution
>> expecting to find a broken rail, defective points or another train.
>> All this after seeing a top Green!!! Sounds like a waste of time,
>> brakes and fuel to me but rules is rules.
>
>I agree, If the signal is showing some form of proceed indication, then a stop should not
>be necessary.

Agreed, but the rules state differently.

BTW anyone notice that some autos have had their lower red light
replaced by a red reflector? Much better idea (no chance of it going
out) but is it in the rules??

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.