Re: Concord West Derailment

Oooops, missed the word "that", sorry....

Krel wrote:

> >> EG in Vic automatic signals that can only display three indications
> >> (clear, warning and stop) have a fixed lower red light.
> >
> *snip*
> Please read again. I said "Vic automatic signals that can only display
> three indications". IE Some autos display the whole range, some only
> display three indications. Not every auto can display every possible
> aspect. As a general rule autos out in the section only display three
> aspects (G/R, Y/R, R/R.) Autos approaching loops, etc can show medium
> speed and reduce to medium speed aspects. Those autos that can only
> display three indications have a fixed lower red light.
>
> I was asking why you need two lights to do what one can do; signal
> clear, caution or stop?

its just the fact that they (Victorians) have used a two light system for speed
signalling. The red single marker is purely there to keep the consistency.

> >> and why red?
> >
> >Red is used as one of the colors for Victorian speed signalling. In some areas, the
> >top aspect is a fixed red, showing only medium speed aspects on that signal.
> >
> Granted; where an auto is used for Medium speed aspects it makes sense
> to use an upper red light. But where they don't it doesn't.

It is used to indicate the difference between Normal and Medium.

Easiest way to describe a Victorian signal-

O| - Top head - Normal Speed
O| - Middle Head - Medium speed.
 º| - Bottom head (optional - only found on some Home signals) LOW speed.

by using these and keeping the speed signals consistent, it should create less confusion,
than would say..
going from single lights to double lights to single lights..

> >> If the top light is obscured or out the lower red light tells you nothing.
> >
> >Route knowledge should tell you when you are in a 3 position speed signalling area.
> >
> Yes, But you still have no idea what the signal is displaying. In NSW
> the lower red light is only illuminated if the top light is red or
> out. If the top light is yellow or green there is no lower red light -
> less risk of confusion.

What would happen if the 2nd red light failed?

> >If the top light is extinguished, then you would assume the signal to be at the most
> >restrictive aspect ie: RED
>
> same everywhere.
>
> >the red light on the bottom tells you that there is a signal there and it is
> >defective.
> >
> That is my point. If the signal is one that only shows G/R, Y/R or
> R/R, the bottom light being out should not stop trains. Green over
> black on this signal is obviously clear but the rules state that I
> must stop, contact control and then proceed with extreme caution
> expecting to find a broken rail, defective points or another train.
> All this after seeing a top Green!!! Sounds like a waste of time,
> brakes and fuel to me but rules is rules.

I agree, If the signal is showing some form of proceed indication, then a stop should not
be necessary.

--
Thanks, Tony.

"I put the fun in dysfunctional."

Oh no!! My Homepage address... what is it????

It's here: Railpix - Australian Railway Photography.
            http://railpix.freeservers.com