Re: Major error in AMRM NSW passenger carriage colour articles.

Lambing Flat wrote:

A further comment of my own regarding Allan Brown's recommended colours for painting models.

L&C Russet

I recently had an interesting conversation with Al Cutmore regarding L&C's Russet, apparently the only shade of L&C Russet that I have seen has not been produced for many years, as they were not completely happy with it either.  It would seem that they have introduced a couple of changes to get as close as they can to NSWGR Russet, which is a notoriously difficult colour to match.  I wasn't aware of this at all, so I am going to investigate their revised Russet as soon as I can, because if it is a good one it will make life a lot easier..........  I'll post my revised opinion of L&C Russet as soon as I have checked it out.

Al also tells me that as far as he knows the original Russet was not matched to the N cars that were at Regent St, they were actually matched to a colour sample that he had acquired, but it appears that the original colour sample was not accurate, and as mentioned above they have since changed the paint formulation.  It would seem that the similarity in shades may have been co-incidental.

Yes, lads, I got it wrong!  (It happens occasionally.............;-)

L&C are quite interested in doing a proper pre '54 Tuscan Red, so I am going to see what I can do to track down some colour samples for them.  Who knows, I may be able to convince them to do Purple Brown as well!  If this comes off we could end up having our colour problems solved.

Further on colour, I had better make it clear, (and add a disclaimer to my page when I next update it) that the shades of colour I have used on the illustrations on my web page, while I have endeavoured to get as close as possible, given the limitations of computer colour, to what I believe the colours to have been, are only an approximation, and should not be used to match models to.  They are designed mainly as a guide to the general arrangements of the colour schemes and lining styles, not as a reference to match colours to.  After all, the colour that appears on my screen could look quite different on your screen depending on how your screen is adjusted!

DPC James McInerney

STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!

At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , the "Lambing Flat" page.