Re: R 711

G'day,

Yuri J Sos/Melbourne AUS wrote:

> If an airhose parted at 115km/h, one would imagine that the passengers
> would have been flung about the carriages in a major way firstly when
> the airhose parted and then again when the carriages "ran up its bum".

An emergency stop for a pass is not that dramatic (I've been on board for a few).
The brake application is noisier than a normal application, but smooth and the
train also stops smoothly (there is no nasty jolting).  It's not like the stuff you
see in the movies when someone "pulls the chain"! :)

To give you some idea of the distance involved, the night we were disabled at
Little River the A class loco at 115km/h dumped all its air on the river bridge at
the down end, and the train pulled up under the signal bridge about 400m on the up
side of the station (not the signal bridge at the immediate up end of the platform,
the one on the up side of that before the crossover).

Cheers,
CH.
--
Craig Haber