Re: Violet Town

In article <36bebc9c.14430696@news.netconnect.com.au>,
  krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel ) wrote:
> On 8 Feb 1999 06:53:34 GMT, "Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >AFAIK the first seven vehicles were cut up on site, and were replaced by
> >new vehicles with new numbers.
> >The rest were repaired.
> >-
> Anyone know the identity of the loco off the "Spirit" that was used to
> rescue to the rear of the "Aurora"? AIUI the Breakdown crane train
> from Junee, NSW ran to Benalla but was not used and later returned to
> Junee. Anyone have details?

Peter Knife, temporarily off the air, who was travelling on the SOP that day,
has asked me to post the following:

My notes made at Violet Town say that I was unsure of the loco on the Spirit,
but I'd seen S310 at Albury and presumed that it had taken over from the 44s.

The Spirit was left (with all passengers) in Benalla Loop while the loco ran
forward to assist. A bit later, an X (from memory, X34) arrived l.e. from
Albury and shunted the cars to Benalla platform for the passengers to
transfer to buses.

Can't help with any details about the breakdown train though....

Cheers,JD

John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html