Re: A rail sweetner for voters in Victoria?

On Sat, 06 Feb 1999 23:44:01 +1100, Chris Brownbill
<cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

> bidders for V/Line
>Freight have been asked to "review their tenders to allow for the cost
>of track improvements in north-western Victoria".
>
>"One of the tenderers told The Age yesterday that the Government had
>asked them to adjust their bids to take into account 'some political
>issues' involving the redevelopment of tracks in the Ararat region".

I wonder if the reporter got the gist of it right, but got lost in the
details.

The two "political issues" in Victoria as far as the current
Government is concerned are independent member for Mildura Russell
Savage, referred to by the Premier as a "f**kwit" (so no love loss
there), he fits the "north-western" political issue, and the
independent member for Gippsland West, whose name escapes me, who won
the seat from the Liberals on the retirement of former Transport
Minister Alan Brown; the Libs would dearly like this seat back.  This
seat is, however, south east of Melbourne.

This morning's "Age", Business section, page five, bottom right corner
in a column entitled "What's New" by Philip Hopkins is a small
paragraph entitled "Transport Boost to Economy".  It starts "Two new
transport infrastructure projects in South Gippsland are set to give
the regional economy a fillip.  ...<snip>....  Rail freight transport
to the region will also be boosted with plans by Freight Victoria to
reopen the Cranbourne to Leongatha railway if the consortium succeed
in buying V/Line's operations".

Is it just more PR release hype to strengthen their relative bidding
positions?

Regards

Yuri
--