Re: A few things a'changing....

Craig Haber wrote in message <36B9906C.8D2C242@harnessnet.com.au>...
I wonder if a tri-colour LED setup in a single
>'light' could be used to produce the three colours?  At this stage, they
>retain 3 individual 'lights'.

Yes and no. There is a rather peculiar signal currently on trial at
Sunshine. It is a down signal located just behind the signal box. The fixed
red "Normal Speed" and yellow only "Low Speed" signal heads are standard
globe type lamps. The "Medium Speed" signal head displays three colours and
is an LED type. Tricolour LED's are not used. Instead, single colour LED's
are interlaced into the lens area. The result is a somewhat "coarse"
indication compared to a single colour LED signal lens.

Trials of the LED type multiple aspect signals (one lens per colour) have
been conducted by QR in Brisbane successfully and are now being place in
areas where signal sighting problems exist. There is no intention at this
stage of QR using single aspect, multi colour signal heads, although I can
think of two places where they would be of good use, given the restricted
space (namely Ipswich and Brunswick Street).

The Up Starter from Platform 3 at Ipswich (IH18, I think) has an odd L
shaped signal head due to the limited space. The green aspect is above the
red while the yellow aspect is to the right of the red! The Junction Route
Indicator stems off from the top of the yellow aspect. The Down Suburban
Line Starter at Brunswick Street is a normal four aspect signal, however,
the JRI is mounted BELOW the signal head (Melbourne style) due to limited
space. (I'll try and photograph them and post them on the NG) .

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland
matticue@corplink.com.au