Batlow Goods (was: Penguin saved by Train Driver)

desktop@pipeline.com.au (Frank Jones) writes: >

> One one occasion in the early '80s a friend and I were riding a Batlow
> - Gilmore goods. The driver stopped at the top of the big horseshoe
> bend near the beginning of the 1 in 25 grade to let us (and the
> fireman, IIRC) off as he'd seen some mushrooms there on the Down
> journey. The driver drove the train (48 class + van) around the
> horseshoe while we walked the relatively short distance across, and
> met us on the other side!

Whilst on the subject of the Batlow goods, reminds me of a trip
in 1975 on which we were lucky enough to get a 49 class rostered (they
occasionally ventured down to Cootamundra, and would work Tumut/Batlow
before returning to Parkes.)

After an overnight journey that involved the South Mail to Coota, and CPH's
to Gilmore, we settled ourselves into the guards van of the goods.

At the first stop for shunting (Wereboldera?),  the observer came back
down to the van.  He asked "Do any of you blokes want to go and keep the
driver company? I want to play cards with the guard! "

Ah, that was the way to run a branchline.  :-)

Cheers,

Paul Hogan