Re: Suggested Australian train journeys during a 3-week vacation?

" Bob" <nospam@clear.net.nz> writes:
> Can you tell us more about this train journey, where it goes and how long
> it is.

Around 20 hrs. from Adelaide (its terminus when I was there; not sure of the
Melbourne-Adelaide portion) to Alice Springs.  The "New Ghan" is faster and more
reliable than the historical "Old Ghan" which was subject to flooding, delays
and all kinds of cocktail-story material.

There are three classes - buy the best you can afford - but even the cattle
class has on-board showers.  It goes through the heart of Aus, leaving
civilization somewhere around Port Augusta, through various stations in the red
centre, and finally the next day through the breathtaking Western MacDonnell
ranges before arriving in Alice.

I took it in both directions and I can still hear the centre calling me...