Re: How to reduce rail squeal?

John MacCallum wrote:

> David sounds like you may be able to supply an authoritve answer.
> Is not the target limit for noise 85 dbA at the Railway boundary fence?

The EPA say that it is not to exceed 85dBA 1 metre from the facade of the
house.  If the house is 1 metre from the boundary fence, then yes, it is tested
at the boundary fence.  If the house is 40 metres from the boundary fence, then
it is tested 39 metres from the boundary fence.  Testing is usually done an
equivalent distance from the line, but not right in front of the house, as the
house would reflect noise and affect the readings.

There are places where this is not a possible target, for example Newtown, where
1 metre from the house *is* the railway line.  I believe they can use a system
where the Leq(24hr) must not exceed 60dBA.  Noise is no longer really my forte -
I play trains now. :-)

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard