Re: NRCs Coal Contract in the Hunter

On Tue, 02 Feb 1999 23:45:31 GMT, John MacCallum <johnmac@lisp.com.au>
wrote:

>> Out of curiosity, what type of control valve is used in NSW and VIC?
>>

>> >The standard "full" westighouse freight wagon/car brake has 2 reservoirs,
>> the
>> >auxilary and the emergency. The emergency holds a supply of air in case the
>> >auxilary gets low, it also enables the quick release feature to work by
>> putting
>> >air into the auxilary, thus releaseing the brake whenever an increase in BP
>> >pressure is sensed allowing for a very fast release.
>> >
>> >For some reason Australian government railways have stayed with the ancient
>> >system of only one reservoir, the auiliary despite the fact that trains
>> have
>> >gotten longer and heavier.
>> >

>> Out of curiosity, what type of control valve is used in NSW and VIC?
>
>What the ^%(*!
>Mark you really should find out what you are talking about before you
>start raving on about rubbish.
>
>I ask again Mark. What do you call full Westinghouse Brake treatment?

ABDW euipment has another reservior on each vehicle. This provides a
quick release and a local emergency application feature. Propogation
times are much less than with the "Australianised" equipment. 1500
metres is about the practical limit (except on flattish terrain) for
the Oz stuff. Longer trains will require some new equipment. I hope
that ARA make sure that there is a new Australian Standard before
companies start going their own way.

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.