Re: Some Melbourne obsrvations!

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 01:22:58 +1100, "David Proctor"
<daproc@spam_this.umpires.com> wrote:

I too have just returned from a few days in Melbourne (watching the
Tennis, not officiating) and I was also very suprised at the lack of
saftey fencing. I was realy shocked near Caufield race course where
some kids were playing cricket on the grass besides the track while we
were hurtiling pass, and not to mention all those foot crossings every
where. But then again the Melbourne trains are noisy buggers!!

 I was also suprised  at the fencing around the stabling yards, full
on with razor wire. Must admit it must work as I only seen one train
with serious external grafitti. Maybe Sydney should take note!!

  The issue with Metcard validation is strange indeed. It seemed that
when people were validating then everyone else did, other wise no one
did. I was there four about 5 days and I was on about 3 trams and two
trains that had inspections. The first was on the 96 tram from St
Kilda. The two guys were extreamly nice and seemed more intent on
teaching people the right thing to do rather then fine them (maybe
because the 96 is more touristy, I don't know). On one other ocassion
I boarded at Domain Interchage along with three inspectors (who
incidently were driven there by somone in a government car !!). These
three were more intent on coming down heavy, and not long before we
left each inspector had caught some one. One young girl sitting next
to me gave a good story which suprisingly was taken down in a note
book by the inspector, and then was given the fine and was told what
she had said would go into the official report and could be used as
evidence if she choose to fight the fine. The inspector was real
bitchy and official laying down the letter of the law (Pitty I didn't
get the car's number plate she was driven to the Domain interchange
in, as the car's driver was smoking in a government car which is a big
no-no!!)

  It makes me wonder how much effort goes into each fine and what the
costs actually are. I for one wouldn't be suprised if the lost revenue
in fare evasion and the policing effort would more than out weigh the
costs of conductors!!
 Ashley Wright, Canberra, Australia
 ajwright@nospam.ozemail.com.au
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright
 Do not reply to my email. Delete word 'Spam'.