Re: y2k

Roderick Smith wrote:

> This hasn't had a nibble in m.t.r.m, so I am trying it more widely,
> starting with my own territory.
>
> My students are working on an international challenge which seems to be
> written by a Hollywood filmmaker:
> Describe a railway crash in Japan caused by a y2k problem.
>
> AFAIK, virtually all railway safeworking is protected by hardware, which
> fails safe.  Computers are used for *control*, not safety protection.  The
> worst problem which y2k could cause is gridlock: everything halts.

Some safety critical work is done by cpu's/ microprocessors/ computers, call
them what you may.  But as far as I know, Solid State Interlocking (SSI),
Harmon Crossing Predictors (HXP), and Safetran Crossing Predictors (GCP) (and,
I assume VPI, Westect, Westrace etc...) use only SECONDS in any time critical
calculations.  Certainly HXP's and GCP's use date & time in data recording
functions, but even if the data recorder fails goes spastic, the safety
critical functions are unaffected.  About the most susceptible safety critical
system I can suggest is the Section Authority Working Workstations.  I have
seen zilch about their y2k compliance.  Anybody heard anything?

Of course, there has been no suggestion of y2k problems with mechanical
interlocking frames! :o)

BC