Re: Questions about Rail Grinding

In article <scFa4.6302$n23.16952@ozemail.com.au>,
Paul Jones <dj_wiseguy2@geocities.com> wrote:
>Robin <stationmaster@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>Mmha4.5055$n23.15453@ozemail.com.au">news:Mmha4.5055$n23.15453@ozemail.com.au...
>> Rail Grinding has just been carried out on the main line
>> between Peterborough and Broken Hill,  The head of the rail
>
>when i caught the ghan from alice to syd 5 months ago that was the smoothest
>section of track during the whole trip! even better since the train traveled
>at least 120km/h (believe me - it was faster than 115km/h, we made up 2.5
>hrs between adelade and broken hill)

 The best track I rode on while travelling to Adelaide mid year was
Cystal Brook to Adelaide. We ran at speed down that line, not slowing
all that much for the loops and not feeling them either. We arrived
at the Adelaide suburbs early, and crawled through the suburbs and past
Dry Creek to arrive on time a Keswick.

 It wasn't just rail grinding, the track line and level was excellent and the
points in the loops were straight.

 Past Port Augusta on the Trans line, some track was in need of grinding,
especially in the curves, our train making quite a noise over corragated
track.