Re: Questions about Rail Grinding

Frank Hood wrote:

> I have questions about rail grinding. Which I hope some people who work in
> the industry will answer.
>
> 1.    Which systems Railway or Transit (streetcar/ Subway) grind their
> rails?
> 2.    How often does it take place?
> 3.    Why do they grind?

It's a good question. I am not au fait with the technical detail, but I
do know that ALL streetcar systems need to use rail grinding machines to
smooth away rough spots on rails especially on curves. Eventually this
grinding wears down the rails which on curves and pointwork especially
need regular replacement.

The action of the tram's trucks "grinding" round a sharp curve causes
corrugations in the rails which need to be "ground" off.

For example in Melbourne Australia, the Bourke Street diesel bus routes
were replaced with trams in 1955-56. Most of the straight track on these
routes is still in excellent condition after 45 years (!) because there
is little wear on a straight track, but sharp curves such as the
Smith/Gertrude 90 deg hard turn on the 86-Bundoora have had to be
replaced several times since then and need regular grinding. You should
hear the squeals of trams turning this sharp corner! A lovely sound to
tram-lovers like me especially when viewed/heard from the rearmost seat
of an articulated tram that kinks around the bend.

Various tram systems in places like Russia and Poland often do not have
the money for this kind of preventive maintenance and it shows in the
rough ride on their trams.

I don't think railway lines need similar grinding because they usually
don't have the sharp bends that streetcar lines often have.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand