Re: Rail safety - video cameras in cabs

James Robinson <NOSPAM@ERIE.NET> wrote in message
386AA03B.6BCC52B9@ERIE.NET">news:386AA03B.6BCC52B9@ERIE.NET...
> Wizzer wrote:
> >
> > Do you really think that the unions would allow something like this,
good
> > idea. I doubt however that it will happen.
>
> I know things don't always transfer to other countries gracefully, but
> video cameras have been installed in a number of locomotive cabs on
> railways in the US.  They are primarily defense against lawsuits, in
> that juries can see for themselves what drivers have done when they get
> themselves in trouble. Metro North, a commuter operator out of New York
> City is an example.  The locomotives also have electronic event
> recorders to record such things as speed, whistle signals, throttle
> position, and brake applications.  Some railways have also installed
> video cameras at problem crossings such that cars going around lowered
> crossing gates can be charged with an offense.

All this happens in Australia now, (with the exception of cameras in cab).

For example locos have been fitted with speed recorders since steam days.

NRC's NR Class have full event recorder equipment that records duration in
seconds that whistle is blown, whether the head light is on, if so whether
it is on high or low beam, direction and speed of loco, BP preasure, BC
pressure, ER Pressure, thottle position, if bell is ringing, what colour
jocks the driver is wearing, the list goes on and on.

Bob.