Re: Rail safety - video cameras in cabs

Wizzer wrote:

> Do you really think that the unions would allow something like this, good
> idea. I doubt however that it will happen.

I know things don't always transfer to other countries gracefully, but
video cameras have been installed in a number of locomotive cabs on
railways in the US.  They are primarily defense against lawsuits, in
that juries can see for themselves what drivers have done when they get
themselves in trouble. Metro North, a commuter operator out of New York
City is an example.  The locomotives also have electronic event
recorders to record such things as speed, whistle signals, throttle
position, and brake applications.  Some railways have also installed
video cameras at problem crossings such that cars going around lowered
crossing gates can be charged with an offense.