Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

Dave Proctor wrote:

> Bernard Smith wrote in message ...
> >I don't know about the signal spacing in the Blue Mountains, but it is
> >possible to run trains at 2-3 minute spacing in the metro area.
> >
> >Given that the Lithgow train is all stations and the IP an express, the gap
> >should be opening not closing as they progress through the mountains.
>
> Not really. The I-P would be going at a fairly constant rate (given a long,
> reasonably heavy (but nowhere near as heavy as a coalie) train going down a
> steep hill.
>
> The DDIU, on the other hand, will be accelerating and decelerating
> constantly, would be going reasonably fast, given the better brakes (in
> theory) and better acceleration and deceleration,
>
> Dave

There is no problem with running the IP at Track speed down the
Mountains as long as the Dynamic brake is working ok. I believe
that GSR have now fitted composite brake blocks to the IP and
so now there shouldn't be too much of a problem driving down
the hill on the air alone.

The IP is tabled 11 mins ahead of the 6.39 out of Lithgow. I have
read somewhere that it was running late. I'm not sure of what the
running time is for the IP Valley Heights to Penrith but obviously
because the failure of the Signals at Glenbrook it lost time.

The Driver of the 6.39 did not come upon a caution signal till
the signal before the Infamous 41.6. Had the signal not been a failure
at Glenbrook then the Trains would have maintained a reasonable time
separation. As to how much time was lost by the
Indian at Glenbrook I don't know but it will no doubt come out
in the Inquiry.
--

Pope

Alias	John MacCallum

remove MY from MYlisp to get the real email address.