Unusually movement at Hornsby

On Friday evening (17/12/99) I was on an down Wyong interurban that left
Hornsby at the same time as a late running down Gosford bound Outer Suburban
Tangara (which originated from the north shore line).  The two trains ran
parallel with each other for about 0.5 kilometres north of Hornsby with the
Wyong train on the down main and the Gosford train on the up main.  The
Wyong train slowed and stopped just past the Bridge Road overpass to let the
Gosford train cross over onto the down main just near Hornsby car sheds.
This is the first time I have seen 'wrong' road running (outside of
trackwork) around Hornsby.  I suppose the resignalling in the Hornsby area
allows such flexible operations.  Since the commissioning of the new Hornsby
signal box the Wyong bound interurban would have normally been held in
platform 4 or directed into the new loop.