Re: A considerate loco driver! And some Illawarra line questions....

"Bradley Torr" <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message
01bf47ad$302f8c40$241f083d@default">news:01bf47ad$302f8c40$241f083d@default...

> Also, another question about North Wollongong - the northern third of the
> platform looks like relatively new concrete..... the rest of the station
is
> 1930's style asphalt with an enclosed brick base (the concrete part was
> open). The station was obvioulsy extended at some point to accomodate
8-car
> sets.... anyone have any idea when this happened?
>
> And also.... there appears to be a disused siding between Bellambi and
> Woonona (or perhaps Woonona and Bulli... pretty sure it's the former...)
on
> the up side... a very disused platform as well overgrown with grass, and
> several hundred feet to the north, the scorched frame of what once was
some
> kind of maintenace shed or freight depot. What was this?
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> Regards,
> Bradley.

The station was extended earlier this year, I remember standing on the reo
before the top slab was poured while photographing a train. I haven't got my
notebook at work today so I'm not sure of the date.
There used to be a siding to the Bellambi Maltings just to the south of
Woonona station. It had a little shed over the track where the wagons were
unloaded onto a conveyor under the track. The maltings has been closed IIRC
nearly 10 years, there was a hardware supply place in there more recently.
There was also a fire in one of the silos which had been converted into a
workshop.
There was also Bulli goods yard which has been gone many years as well. The
was a siding still there in 85/86 when we were collecting signalling
equipment, for the RTM, which had been dumped at Bulli during
electrification.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton