Re: Glenbrook - Vandalised Phone

Switched On wrote in message

>> Insecure in that anyone with a 450MHz transceiver can make transmissions.
>If a
>> signal box was allowed to authorise passing signals at stop over the
2-way
>radio,
>> then anyone could sit nearby and start authorising it.
>
>That's what encryption is for.

Encryption !!! Are we talking about the same rail system - that still has
crank-handle signal phones in the metro area of the so-called Olympic city !

There are two main reasons why safeworking regulations do not allow
signallers to authorise trains to go past signals at stop over the radio:

1. To ensure the bona fides of both parties, as already indicated.
2. To ensure trains (especially trains without trip gear fitted) actually
stop at the signal concerned (you obviously must come to a stand to enable
you to get out and ring up).

There are many signal phones within and around Sydney that do not work.
However, the Safeworking regulations allow for this contingency (e.g. At an
automatic signal at stop, where contact with the signaller cannot be made,
wait one minute and proceed with extreme caution to the next signal, being
prepared to stop short of any obstruction).

Regards,
Russ..