Re: Lack of Railway Magazines in Newsagencies

Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3854C5DA.C5ADBAD4@ozemail.com.au">news:3854C5DA.C5ADBAD4@ozemail.com.au...
> I have noticed in the last several months that rail magazines have
> disappeared from sale in many newsagencies of late.
>
> I have not seen Railway Digest, AMRM, Motive Power, Model Railroad or
> even UK's Rail magazines at any newsagencies for sometime. One obscure
> magazine to be found was "Light Railways" (didn't know it existed!)
>
> I surveyed several newsagencies in the area where I live & at work. 90%
> don't carry any rail magazines, Local or International at all.
>
> Only the Newslink newsagencies in the Sydney Underground stations had a
> decent range of railway magazines. ARHS Redfern also has a large
> selection but it's a bit out of the way.
>
> Is it like this all over the place? I am just concerned that interest in
> railways will diminish over time if railway publications don't make it
> out to the general public.
>
> Jon Lau

We to have the same problem, but we do not have the option of shooting
across to the next suburb or to a rail fan shop to grab a copy.

In Tamworth (North West NSW) most news agencies carry a couple copies of RD,
many copies of English Stuff and a few copies of Yankee stuff.

Many a time I have either missed out or got the last copy of RD (meaning
someone else missed out). I have noticed of late that there has always been
a couple of RD's left over each month, so I hope that the agencies will not
cancel their subscription (I must when I get time subscribe myself).

I have notice light railways around once or twice, but what really gets to
me in the bush is the problem of us not having any choice. I am aware of a
magazine in Victoria and I believe that there are others from other states,
but we never get to see any of them or get to hear about them. Digest is our
only source of news about what is happening around Australia. Maybe some of
the other editors of other mags might either post details about their mags
here and how to obtain them or take an add out in Railway Digest so as us
people who don't have everything on the door step can get an idea of what is
out there.

--
Gavin Potter
e-mail

or try
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gavpot/

"Planning without action is futile. Action without planning
is fatal."  -Alan Speigel.