Re: bombala line

Gail BENNETT <valleyfm@mpx.com.au> wrote in message
82vih7$99n$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:82vih7$99n$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Hi all
>
> I've just had a really nice weekend in Merimbula and enroute back to
> Canberra I decided to take a look at the remnants of the disused Bombala
> line. Bombala station looks like it finished service yesterday - still in
> very good condition. I wish I could say the same for Nimmitabel.
Nimmitabel
> station looks more like a garbage tip and is one sorry sight.
>
> I think that much of the former Bombala line used light rails, and there
is
> no chance that this line could ever be reopened past Cooma.
>
> In Cooma, the rail motors were as busy as ever - they have been
beautifully
> restored.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gail

The line beyond Cooma was indeed laid with light rails, it was what was
known as a ''Pioneer Line", only using gravel or cinders to hold the
sleepers in place, unlike the line between Queanbeyan to Cooma which used
rock ballast and heavier grade rail.   In reality the line carried very
little in the way of either passengers or freight during its existence, it
would be impossible to justify re-opening in today's economic climate.

Regards

David Bennetts