Re: Peterbrough Station news Mon 6th Dec 1999.

Hunslet <hunslet@cia.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>G'day.
>The motorail vehicle is always marshalled in the lead westbound out of
>Sydney, as it is the last vehicle to be attached to the train prior to
>departure.   Similarly, on the eastbound journey to Sydney, it is able
>to be detached immediately on arrival and placed in the unloading dock.
>There is usually a good reason for every established method of
>working.   I'm told that normally, locomotives are placed at the front
>of the train so that the crew can see where they are going !!!
>Hunslet..

So what do they do in Britain where trains are driven at night without
headlights?

Why would the crew need to see where they are going anyway? Can they
swerve to avoid an obstruction? Can they stop to avoid hitting sheep
or cattle across the rail? Signals are placed at the side of the track
so there is no need to see signals from the absolute front of the
train. The only advantage I can see is the chance to run toward the
back of a carriage or loco before impact.

The faster trains go, the less of a need to see where you are going
anways.

MY2CW

Les Brown.