Re: conditions as train operators

In <82m0tl$cck$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Vaughan Williams <ender2000@my-deja.com> writes:

>Out of interest, do train drivers get regularly drug tested?

No, there is currently no regular, mandated program of systematic drug and
alcohol testing for operations staff such as myself. Just like the NSW
police conduct random breath testing of road vehicle drivers, there are a
team of people who visit crew depots at random and conduct alcohol breath
testing as drivers and guards sign on for work.

There are no laws which compel staff to submit to regular blood screenings,
but I believe that at the time of breath testing (either a random sign-on
test, or after an incident) a police officer or CityRail operations
inspector can ask that a person volunteer for a blood test, and then if the
person refuses, and the police officer, etc. believes there are grounds for
needing a test, the person can then be formally arrested (by police) and
taken to a place where such a test can be performed.

There was a recent incident involving a train derailing in the Flemington
(Sydney) area in which there were apparently suspicions about the driver's
sobriety, etc. which apparently resulted in officers seeking the person to
submit to a blood test. I don't know exactly what happened, so I won't
comment any further, but suffice to say that police and operations
inspectors do have the power to compel someone to submit to a blood test if
need be.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport