Re: Glenbrook accident [NSW] (Media behaviour comment)

Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
82eqi9$epr$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:82eqi9$epr$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
> Last friday my wife sent email to the SMH complaining about the fact that
they have
> given the Interurban drivers full name, town and street (Thus giving
enough info
> for any one with a Lithgow region phone book to get his number and
address).

>  A sub editor rang her back. Basicly said 'its our standard policy to give
streets
> as we dont want some one else with the same name being inadvertantly
affected' and
> gave an example of a name clash over some incident in a Gold Coast night
club where
> another person of the same name (who lived in the same town) complained!.
Then the
> editor said 'whats the problem anyway, we call him a hero'!.

I don't know if it is peculiarly Victorian thing, but for some many  months
now all news footage of people attending Court charged with serious crimes,
drugs, murder etc are scrambled so that the person cannot be recognised
............funny world we live in, when a Crim. gets better protection than
a bloke just doing his job?
Rod