Re: feelings

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:20:26 +1100, "Andrew" <atailby@mpx.com.au> wrote:

>as many of you read in the other rail post site where a small fight started
>between david and my self i am not really going to make appoligies for my
>comments but one of the things i had noticed during reading of many post
>1 some made comments of not very good taste towards fellow rail spottors
>2 bagged people because of the way that they acted
>3 and finaly making comments behind peoples backs when they dont access to a
>computor
>In a private email i got i am not going to name the person it seems that
>people who are in among a sertain group some times get faviours done for
>them and people out side this group strugle just to get anywhere with in the
>railways in terms of trying to get photos and information
>But one thing i found on saturday afternoon at a meeting at sets i walked in
>about 1/2 hour before their auction started and when i walked in that room i
>got looks from some members as if to say i was not really welcomed there as
>i dont have much interest in electric passenger trains like they do
>I was there for the auction to part with some of my weekly wages to support
>them in terms of getting bits and peices to add to my collection
>i could have easly not turned up to that meeting and they would not have had
>the $40:00 dollars that i spent there the money that i spent there could
>have been spent else where
>Every one in this world is not perfect even i have my own faults and i find
>it so disharting that are people who find it funny to make fun of others who
>may not be able to control the way that they act like some of the posts that
>were written about people like reggie and the bloke from the rail fan shop
>I have even herd from some friends in victoria  that rail spotting has gone
>and turned it self in to a sport such as people competting againts each
>other as to who got mentioned in a number of different mags this has turned
>friends againts each other whichas happened to my self  with one of my
>friends who i now very rarelly speak to because he started this practise of
>seeing which one of us got into the mags only because he had a job with
>state rail and had a computor at the time so if i sore something quite
>offten he would see it as well and would send an email
>i can not complain about the past i wish that it would stop as it makes
>friends turn againts each other
>andrew

Andrew, what you have experienced happens with all groups made up of human beings. I suggest that
they were [a] curious [b] busy with their own conversation and the facial expressions / body
language were the result of their own conversation.

Next time just walk up to them and make yourself known as a friendly fellow. Keep your eyes and ears
open and mouth shut for the early period. Work out the personalities and take your opportunities as
they come.  It is a bit like the way new people enter the newsgroup community. New loud mouths are
not always welcomed but people who offer positive  conversation are welcomed.

The best way to be accpted is to become a member of the inner group. This is usually made up of the
active members who actually do something for the group, especially if it involves that person
spending their own time and money to assist the group. The signs that indicate this type of person
are things like; "what do I do to help?" than listen to the answers and try to help.

Cheers
Peter

Peter & Susan Cokley
petan @ ion.com.au