Re: Garratt Accident in WA

carrington <consultancy@REMOVEcarringtonct.com.au> wrote in message
dm2k4sogkfn5tiboj78t27if0uhbj54dei@4ax.com">news:dm2k4sogkfn5tiboj78t27if0uhbj54dei@4ax.com...

> I've posted a picture at the following web site (just click on the
> link - your newsreader should open your web browser and take you
> straight there)
>
> http://www.geocities.com/carringtonct/garratt/

The picture wasn't there when I tried.

> The picture appears in the "current" (Oct 99) edition of the UK
> magazine Steam Railway, with the following comment :-
>
> "........perhaps a reader would know where it is. The card is printed
> in Australia - so that's a start.
>
> The only clue is the brief caption "Garratt Locomotive, Clarement
> Subway 1945".
>
> From my time in Perth, I remember seeing this photo in a number of
> books on WA railways, and from memory it's the subway just near West
> Leederville (?) station - near (what used to be called when I was
> there) the City West complex. (How's my memory .. good, or failing?
> <g>)

Hmm - not terrific. The subway is very close to Claremont station - same
line (Perth - Fremantle), but several stations further on (toward Fremantle)
from West Leederville.

The full details of the accident (including photographs) can be found at
http://www.trainweb.com/signalbox/branches/cf/claremont.htm#smash. The crash
occurred approximately 1:30am, 12th December 1944.

Regards,
Ross.