Re: Bethungra Spiral

"Garry Hoddinett" <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>In speaking to the editor of the magazine he also said there was merit in
>converting the Main West beyond Mount Victoria to single track but this
>should have been done before the solid concrete beds were put into the
>tunnels.  Again he thought the line is under utilised to justify being
>double track. The big plus in conversion to single track was that all the
>tunnels (10 ratholes & Marrangaroo) could easily be modified to accommodate
>double stack containers - significantly reducing the costs associated with
>any upgrading of the Main West to enable double stack container trains to
>operate to the west.

I would wonder how the little pantos on the interurban sets could
possible then stretch to the more than 6.5 metre plus clearence needed
to reach the catenary? I don't know of any double-stacking under
overhead wires. A dedicated line is still required IMO, especially if
the more optimistic of traffic estimates comes true.

Les Brown