Re: Railway over Yarra River.

: The line is still intact beyond the Bolte bridge..... I've never seen
: holes in the sleepers where the SG allegedly was.  I thought only the
: river bridge and the crossing of Footscray Road was dual gauge.

[snip]

: Why was only the rail from the Bolte Bridge back to Melbourne Yard
: lifted and removed?   The line is intact beyond the bridge.  There was
: an article in the Age a couple of months ago that there are plans by
: the MPC to build a bridge across the Yarra  to re-connect the line.
: City Link has already said it will not permit B-triples on its bridge
: to transfer containers from Webb Dock to Appleton/Swanson Dock.

Well I went on that line in a rail motor (derm) a long time ago, and it wasn't
standard gauge after crossing the yarra river.

To put it in one word for the partial removal "Docklands"  the Footscray rd
bit was removed (I don't know why they didn't wait till they reduced the number
of lanes in Footscray Rd)

The other section along the south side of the River between the bridge and the
other bridge (Bolte) for the Mivrac development (housing).

Why remove the rest?  No one will pay for it.  Where as the Docklands people
pay for the removal so far.

On a side note is it true that Docklands paid NR $500,000 for the removal of
their shunting neck?  Hence the money for the repainting and use of the C
class again.

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord