Re: Bethungra Spiral

Garry Hoddinett <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7qlphh$k24$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7qlphh$k24$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> In speaking to the editor of the magazine he also said there was merit in
> converting the Main West beyond Mount Victoria to single track but this
> should have been done before the solid concrete beds were put into the
> tunnels.  Again he thought the line is under utilised to justify being
> double track. The big plus in conversion to single track was that all the
> tunnels (10 ratholes & Marrangaroo) could easily be modified to
accommodate
> double stack containers - significantly reducing the costs associated with
> any upgrading of the Main West to enable double stack container trains to
> operate to the west.

What drugs are you on? You CANNOT have double stacked containers east of
Lithogw without de-electrifying the line. This will not happen - there is
too much commuter traffic for this to occur. There is also the little matter
of the tunnel at Glenbrook.

The Main West will NOT see double stacked containers - EVER. Now, what are
those drugs, and can you send me some! <g>

DaveP