Re: Re Strategic Reserve.

K.D.Balderson@lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> >Roy Wilke <royboy@bit.dotnet.dotau> wrote in message

> > But in the 1914-18 War, reliance on railways contributed greatly to the
> stagnation on the
> > Western Front.

>     Umm! what would you have the combatants rely on - remember horses
> provided much of the transport

	Errrr.  Maybe.  The static nature lead to extensive developments
	of NG feeders behind both frontlines.  Using Steam (and diesel
	and petrol...  (yes...)) meant NOT having to haul forage forward.

> (and were used to a surprising extent in ww2, earlier years at least).

	Indeed.  Including the (commonly perceived as motorized) German
	Army.  On Day 1 (IIR) the majority of their transport was still
	Horse Drawn.

>     Some "expert" in military/transport stuff (forgot who) calculated
> that if the channel tunnel had existed in 1914 ww1 would have been
> ended decisively by about 1916 because British/French/whoever's main
> problem was getting supplies over the channel. If true you can speculate
> about ensuing history...

	Welllll.
	I doubt the _French_ had a problem getting stuff over the channel.
	The usual theory (and it may have been rvised, but I'm leery of
	revisionism) has the UK (at least, can't speak to the French)
	stuck on _manufacturing_ capacity, as opposed to transport.

	best
	dave p