Re: Bethungra Spiral

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
mauried.313.37CE4943@commslab.gov.au">news:mauried.313.37CE4943@commslab.gov.au...
> I must be missing something here  , but how can deliberately increasing
the  ruling grade of a main line like the main south from 1:66 to 1:40 be a
desirable thing to do. The total distance gained is approx 4.5 km if we
include the spiral and the  frampton deviation.
 The reduction in full load is (if we assume an NR class, 1750 tonnes down
to  1235 tonnes) ie we lose 515 tonnes of gross load , which translates into
lost  revenue , approx $9800 of lost revenue (at 2.5 c/ntk) per train , all
to save  4.5 km in 960 km. Makes no sense at all.
 > MD
Yes you are missing something here.  Refer to earlier postings.