Re: Who said there's no variety these days?

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote in message

> We could try the same exercise for Spencer St, South Dynon and immediate
> vicinity - what are the current possibilities there (not counting
> preserved locomotives, but counting the WCR R since it is in regular
> service)? Let me try, and have a flood of corrections and additions from
> the Victorians:
>
> A/B/C/G/H/J/N/P/R/S/T/X/Y/CLF/CLP/AN/BL/NR/GM/82

> = 20 so far? (And how many different colour schemes? More than 30?)
>
> Do 81 class, 700 class or DLs appear in Melbourne these days?
>
> I wonder how many other places in the WORLD are inhabited simultaneously
> by so many different loco classes?
>
> Eddie Oliver

Eddie,

On a quick visit to Dynon back in June, we counted 14 different classes
(including R711 on shed). This included a BL, a DL and an 81, but *excluded*
any NR class!
If you extend the boundary to the general vicinity, there were also Great
Northern's GM's , and SCT's ex WA H class. No CLP's on the day, but CLF's on
the Patricks that morning and we forgot about the C class being rebuilt in
the shed.  Variety indeed.

Cheers,

Paul Hogan